[BITList] King of Scots

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 8 10:54:26 BST 2016

John,

With a group, we had a most interesting visit the other day to Ardgowan
House, a stunning mansion near Inverkip a few miles from here.  The laird
himself, Sir Ludovic Shaw Stewart, gave us a series of talks on the history
of the place, the battles, and the descent of his family, from the very
Stewarts in the biography.  And he conducted us round the place - or some of
it - it's enormous.  We adjourned for tea and a lovely spread, including
lemon drizzle cake made by the laird himself.  We were free to take photos
and a great time was had by all.  I happened to mention to him that my wife
and I have five separate Stewart lines in our family history, and we
discussed a recent discovery that arose from DNA analyisis - one (two?) in
every five Scottish men with Stewart ancestry are descended from the ancient
Royal Stewarts.  I asked him what a DNA test costs now.  "Two hundred and
fifty pounds, " he said. "Too dear for me."