[BITList] Royal Princess at Liverpool

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri May 15 08:06:05 BST 2015

Mike,

We see these vessels (Tom Kelso calls then floating tenements) all the time at Greenock Container Terminal.  They are impersonal and quite ugly.

Why are the men in the wee boat all wearing hard hats, indeed, why is anyone wearing one?  Is it hard water in Liverpool?  I saw a bunch of them walking through the Mall in Greenock the other day. There's not even a chance of bird crapping on one in the Mall, but there they were, all togged up.  There was a photo in our local paper a few weeks back, showing the new owner of Ferguson's shipyard with a selection of his workers, all seated amid cranes, etc, by the quayside. They all, including him, had hard hats, but in their laps, and there were plenty of seagulls about.