[BITList] B.P.'s hot tub Eureka moment

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Mar 18 10:50:00 GMT 2015

From a correspondent …

A typically high-quality BBC short film. The message is made very clear.

Over the years I had contact with a number of issues touched by the film. Here are three.

1)    I was responsible for choosing International Waters projects for the World Bank Global Environment Facility, like this one for Ballast Waters. My budget was $100million per annum.

2)   It was nice to see the main hall of the IMO in London. That was where in 1990 I gave the keynote lecture on Climate Forecasting to the World Meteorological Organisation. To their dismay I explained to the meteorologists that Climate Change can only be forecast by concentrating on the ocean, because the atmosphere has a memory of less than one month.  I shall return to this in my Thermoclines book.
Of course, the meteorologists are still needed to predict the impact of climate change controlled by changes inside the sea.

3)    I have modelled the disruptive impact of alien species on ecosystems. To do so I invented a new technique, called Explicit Trophic Closure. ETC replaces the standard technique which cannot handle alien species.

http://gcaptain.com/imo-bbc-short-film-invaders-sea/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_campaign=0&utm_content=261222 <http://gcaptain.com/imo-bbc-short-film-invaders-sea/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_campaign=0&utm_content=261222>