[BITList] Tolerances

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 4 20:48:42 BST 2015

Mike,

It good to know they're still using the old skills somewhere.  On tolerances
..... before I left Kincaids for Kvaerner Govan in the late 80s, I was the
designer of large hatches for access to service areas in Torness Nuclear
Power Station.  Macgregor Hatches had started the contract and crapped out
before it got too far along, so all I had to go on were the alleged
dimensions of the oblong openings in the roof of the service area. I
arranged a site visit and, impressed by the shiny surface of the concrete, I
asked a chap about the concrete tolerances. Plus or minus an inch and a
half if you're lucky, he said. The hatches had to fit into the oblong
openings, so, not without difficulty (office politics), a site survey was
commissioned to my requirements, and the design proceeded.

Thunder and lightning everywhere but here.  Who do I complain to?