[BITList] "The explanation" - Sounds logical to me!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 19 09:20:29 GMT 2015

Check "the doorway effect" online. This only affects me, and only sometimes, if I go upstairs (or down) for something odd, something that has little or no business being up or down - my brain thinks it a waste of its time.  I have memories of asking my mother what I came upstairs for - these date from my early teens. Going into a grocer's shop sometimes removed all recall of what I aimed to buy there. Mother solved it by giving me a list - I still use them. We used to call it absent mindedness - now people worry about it.

One problem with assessing memory loss is lack of evidence of the previous state of memory.  Skill at recalling words or numbers from a list is no indicator of the state of memory.  I'm as good at it as I ever was, ie, pretty average.  There's no structure to it - my brain likes structures.