[BITList] QE2 Return to R. Clyde

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Sat Aug 29 13:56:52 BST 2015

Hugh,

What do you think about this ?  I assume the Council has unlimited funds !

Mike

West Dunbartonshire Council set to vote on backing QE2 return to Clydebank EFFORTS to bring the decaying QE2 back to Clydebank have stepped up a gear as West Dunbartonshire Council is asked to back a community campaign and help secure funding. Councillor Gail Casey will move a motion at the next meeting of West Dunbartonshire Council which asks elected members to recognise the QE2’s “historical and emotional significance” to the people of Clydebank. The motion asks West Dunbartonshire Council to submit a funding application to the Scottish Government to pay for a feasibility study. This would ascertain whether or it is possible to bring the QE2 back to the Clyde and Clydebank in particular. To be considered by elected members at a meeting on August 27, the motion suggests the iconic cruise liner could act as a tourist attraction whilst berthed in Clydebank, bringing millions of pounds to the local economy. News of Councillor Casey’s motion comes months after campaign group Bring the QE2 Home to the Clyde reconvened with the aim of bringing the troubled ship home. Headed up by Charlie Sherry, the group was called to action after the Clydebank Post revealed the QE2 was falling into a state of disrepair in Dubai.

The iconic liner had been bought by a business which planned to transform it into a luxury floating hotel. These plans never materialised however and hopes of the QE2 being restored to its former glory are sinking for ex passengers, employees and enthusiasts. Explaining she has been in regular contact with members of Bring the QE2 Home to the Clyde, Councillor Casey said it was the right time to bring her motion before the council. She said: “I grew up in Clydebank and my father worked on the QE2 at John Brown’s shipyard, I was there for the launch in my school uniform. It was a fantastic and busy day. “The QE2 is a beautiful ship, it has sailed all over the world — its return would be a boon for the tourist industry of Clydebank.”

Despite her clear passion for bringing the QE2 back to Clydebank, Councillor Casey remains realistic about the challenges ahead. Her motion states: “There are clearly many financial and logistical hurdles to be overcome before any such project could be brought to fruition. “Nevertheless, bearing in mind the historical and emotional significance of this ship to Clydebank in particular and its potential tourist importance in the future, should the QE2 return to the Clyde, council considers it important that Clydebank be considered as a potential location.” Councillor Casey also recognised the well-established campaign to bring the QE2 to Inverclyde, but argued Clydebank was the ship’s natural home. Commenting on Councillor Casey’s motion, Mr Sherry of The QE2 Story said: “Karina Rea, Rosalyn Heeney, Frances Quinn and I will be going to the council meeting next Thursday as a delegation from the QE2 Story. “We have also put in a general question to the council about support for bringing the QE2 home and support for the regeneration project.” He added: “I know it’s early days, but imagining the QE2 returning to Clydebank — it would be the story of the century.”
QUEEN Elizabeth Two, referred to simply as the QE2, is an ocean liner originally built for the Cunard Line. She was operated by Cunard as both a transatlantic liner and a cruise ship from 1969 to 2008.Named after the earlier Cunard liner RMS Queen Elizabeth, the QE2 was designed for the transatlantic service from her home port of Southampton to New York. Designed in Cunard’s then headquarters and regional offices in Liverpool and Southampton respectively, and built in Clydebank, she was considered the last of the great transatlantic ocean liners until the construction of the Queen Mary 2 was announced source : Clydebank Post