[BITList] Nato Medal ??

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Thu May 1 21:31:35 BST 2014

Marines who fought Somali pirate gangs barred from wearing their medals ...

because their missions weren't risky enough Hundreds of marines confronted Somali pirates - armed with AK-47s Seized lethal weapons and destroyed their boats in series of raids Were awarded a Nato medal on their return to the UK But top brass have ruled they cannot wear the gong on their uniforms Hundreds of Royal Marines who tackled gangs of gun-toting Somali pirates on the high seas have been barred from wearing their medals after defence chiefs ruled that their missions were not risky enough. The Marines confronted pirates armed with AK-47 assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades in a series of daring engagements, blowing up their boats and seizing lethal weapons. The brave squaddies spent months on patrol before returning to the UK, where they received a Nato medal recognising the success of their counter-piracy operations. But top brass have ruled they cannot wear the gong on their uniforms. When they complained, the Marines were shocked to learn their battles fell foul of the ‘Risk and Rigour Principle’ which states the risk to life and limb should exceed what might normally be expected of UK Service personnel. Last night, furious Lance Corporal Arron Welch, of the Royal Marines’ Fleet Contingency Troop, said: ‘I believe that boarding a dhow [pirate ship] harbouring pirates who have been seen with weapons and have refused to stop even after we’ve fired at them constitutes a risk. ‘This case does not just concern me and my group of 30 [Marines] but a large number of Service personnel who have worked to protect innocent people and the world’s economy from piracy. 'At a time when morale in the Forces is low and with even more cuts to come, this ruling is another instance of the efforts of our Forces being overlooked and under-appreciated.’ More than 250 Royal Marines, members of the Special Boat Service (SBS) and the crew of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship Fort Victoria served for three months at a time on Operational Capri, a multinational mission to defeat pirates sailing off Somalia.From 2009 to 2013 the Marines faced heavily armed Somalis. UK forces captured 108 pirates and destroyed 17 vessels.Royal Navy sailors and SBS troopers also secured the release of 43 seafarers taken hostage – yet they are barred from displaying the Nato medal they were awarded. The Nato medal, cast in bronze with a blue and white ribbon and the clasp ‘Africa’, was also awarded to troops from the US, the Netherlands, Canada and Italy. They are entitled to wear the medal. An MoD spokesman said: ‘It is only right the highest standards are set when medals are awarded to recognise the risk and rigour our people face on operations. 'That the Nato medal has not been approved for wear does not detract from the importance of these counter-piracy operations.’ Source : Daily Mail _____________________________________________________________________________________