[BITList] Letter to the Editor - Independent

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Thu Aug 14 09:25:42 BST 2014

The various fates of fish
Grace Dent is too eager to support the RSPCA’s bully-boy tactics (12 August), if the experience of my tyre fitter is anything to go by.

He has two tanks in his office with a splendid selection of tropical fish. One of the tanks contains a single, large, ugly specimen. A customer complained to the RSPCA and he was visited and told that the fish was lonely and needed company.

“I put other fish with him, but he ate them”, he said.  He was then told that the sides of the tank should be painted black so that the fish did not feel intimidated by visiting customers.

“You should go to the shop down the road,” he told the officer. “They dip their fish in batter and fry and eat them.” He was told that this was not a laughing matter.