[BITList] Costa Concordia

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Wed Aug 13 10:22:54 BST 2014

LETTER RECEIVED FROM READER of MAASMOND,S DAILY COLLECTION OF MARITIME PRESS CLIPPINGS
My name is Vittorio, I am Italian and I work as offshore surveyor, onboard we all read daily your publication and recently I and my colleagues of other nationalities have followed with interest the last days of the Costa Concordia story. They are all very curious about the fact and often asked me whether if I knew anything more about the future of the wreck or other questions about Schettino's legal trial. Unfortunatly, being Italian (and really not proud of it in these cases) and knowing how it works in Italy, my answer is that the trial, even when ending in less than maybe 15 years, will hardly get to clarify any responsability and even less likely will see Schettino going to jail at all; instead, he will probably write some books and become a talk show star, opinionised or a politician. Today an article appears in the news which sadly confirms my disbelief in the last remains of dignity of my country: Schettino has been invited to hold a lecture at Università La Sapienza in Rome on how to handle panic situations....here is the link, sorry it is in Italian, but maybe google translate would do.
http://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2014/08/06/caso-schettino-docente-alla-sapienza-lui-si-difende-iniziativa-per-esperti/1083476/