[BITList] English varieties

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 8 08:55:18 BST 2014

A handy guide to accents. A couple of years ago there was a programme on TV here about the revival of the canals in the UK by a bunch of enthusiasts.  As well as the subject matter, I found the variety of regional and local accents spoken by the participants fascinating. And what about dialects? There must be dozens of both, and yet we hear the media referring to someone having an English/Scottish accent as if that ties it down neatly. 'Trouble at 'mill with clogs, Watcher myte with collarless shirt, Hoot mon the noo with a red beard, and I say old chap with a blazer, and that's about it for the UK.