[BITList] Idiocy

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 8 05:27:09 BST 2013

Hugh,
When I was doing my time part of it was done on HMS Victorious which was
in dry dock having a refit top 3 decks removed new engines and boilers
fitted and 4 decks added the top deck being the first purpose built
angled flight deck built out of 9" thick armour plate (which caused
problems in its self). What I was leading up to though was as the refit
took so long a lot of modifications to the installed equipment came out,
and where duly implemented eg mark one one star became mark one two star
until mark one four star was reach and then it became a mark two and the
whole procedure repeated its self until mark four four star was reached
at which time the whole lot was ripped out and replaced with a new
model, As the advances in technology were proceeding faster than we
could install them the whole project became self sustaining in it own
right. After seven years of this nonsense (and the new boilers were
starting to collapse) the Captain of the dockyard said enough, and that
she had to sail in six months which she did as the most advanced
obsolete carrier in the world at the time, cost to NATO a mere 27
million pounds so I for one am not surprised by the latest performance,
personally think that the answer would be to buy off the shelf much like
we trade our cars in as one can never catch up in the shipbuilding
industry what you think
frank

Today's Herald has a piece on the cost overrun of the yet to be
completed aircraft carriers HM Govt caused to be built some years ago.
For those not up to scratch with them, they were built all over the
place (in the UK), and the various sections were wheeled to a place of
final assembly and welded together.
One factor mentioned by the Herald as contributing both to delays and
cost overruns was the habit of they who must be obeyed demanding hasty
costings for sudden changes in requirements, eg, let's have a different
type of plane, so give me a figure for the modifications by tomorrow at
3.00.  The problem with this type of shit is that the actual work
on such a matter would be made by the person investigating the changes,
and by nobody else (I've been there myself a few times), and it could
easily be that the news about the need for changes would not reach the
drawing board until 4.30 on the day after next Tuesday, always supposing
it wasn't raining.  There might then be a week of assessment and
measuring, and acquiring information nobody else thought necessary.  The
result might easily be that the top brass's bum's were out the window,
and they needed to be told that fast and with words of one syllable. The
trouble is, few if any of those presently employed are capable of
calling a spade a spade and resisting the dreams of ignoramuses, and the
result is as above.