[BITList] Is Britain becoming a nation of accent snobs? | EricaBuist | Comment is free | theguardian.com

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 4 08:51:32 BST 2013

Mike,

Accent, schmaccent.  I'm puzzled by this "er" sound in "worse", and why this gent only teaches "an English accent".  What particular accent of the few dozen does he teach? I think I can guess. Has he no ambition?  He should be teaching clear diction and nothing more.

I watched The One Show last night - one of the guests was (and still is) a well known English actor.  For some reason not fully explained to me, he read out something in what all present thought a "Scottish" accent.  Why do most non-Scots attempting the not terribly difficult job of imitating a Scottish accent put on a vaguely-centred nasal whine that approximates to nothing ever heard up here?