[BITList] Fwd: The UK still needs lots of ships. If only wecouldbuild more of them ourselves | Ian Jack | Comment isfree |The Guardian

x50type x50type at cox.net
Mon Nov 11 17:27:13 GMT 2013

hear, hear, Hugh

could not agree more. I was watching a BBC program about building the carrier/s or was it a nuclear submarine? I was horrified to see one of the electricians connecting and installing electric cables  was a lassie of around 21 [nothing objectionable by that]. she said she had been in training 9 - 12 months [I don’t recall which] and was now ‘qualified’. From the careful instructions she was receiving from her real, apprentice-trained, male foreman who looked like a real electrician [and clearly knew what he was talking about], and the rather vague look in her eyes, I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling about the perfect reliability of the 14,000 miles of cabling involved!

The 5 year apprenticeship evolved because all concerned concluded that this was the optimum period needed to attain the required skill level to DO A PROPER JOB. If in those olden days the gaffers had thought they could shorten it –they would have been happy to oblige.

It appears now that 5 years is no longer needed and any Tom, Dick and Althea  can do the same in a few weeks [talk about accelerated learning!] – we’ll see how that works out.

ct