[BITList] Fwd: The UK still needs lots of ships. If only we couldbuild more of them ourselves | Ian Jack | Comment is free |The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 11 16:29:01 GMT 2013

Mike,

When I read about "union intransigence" being blamed for the lack of
shipyards in the UK, I resist the urge to put my foot through something.  I
recall that a tradesman took 5 years to get the bog standard basics, and I
get a picture of innumerate arseholes behind large desks trying to get to
grips with shipbuilding via picture books about "Shipbuilding Is Really
Easy, Anyone Can Do It".  I once sat opposite a management idiot whose way
forward was to threaten us with being replaced with "people off the
streets". One reason the much discussed aircraft carriers are so far behind
schedule and in excess of budget is that what's left of the industry is
polluted by "people off the streets", at all levels - "I done a 6 week
training course, guv." "Wow! Great, you're in charge." He who was the office
idiot when I was last in an office is now in charge.  Every shipyard on the
Clyde, bar Ferguson's and the BAE lot, was comprehensively demolished,
obliterated and replaced by housing.  The unions had bugger all to to do
with that.