[BITList] Fwd: BIGGEST ENGINE

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed May 22 16:10:33 BST 2013

Colin,

Wow!  So they cut a hole in the hull and take the engine out whenever it needs replaced.  Every time I see that engine something new emerges.  However, I do recall that, when I was on the design of HMS Newton, I informed the MOD(N) that there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of removing the port or starbd propulsion generators unless the design was drastically changed. The centre was OK, since it was possible to have a big enough hatch over it.  Not to worry, they said, it might never happen, and if it does .... we'll find a way.