[BITList] BBC News - Who, what, why: How do you scrap an aircraft carrier?

x50type x50type at cox.net
Mon May 20 18:01:41 BST 2013

Mike

I was aboard "Sir Galahad' when BI was running it and when I worked for
Noble Denton we were involved in towing "Unites States" to and from Turkey
.................................!

"After being decommissioned it changed hands multiple times, from the Navy
and on through a series of restoration-minded investors.

It was towed from Virginia to Turkey to Ukraine, finally arriving in
Philadelphia as a gutted hulk in 1996. Another succession of developers and
a cruise lines failed to return the ship to service as retrofitting costs
proved too great.

A local philanthropist's 11th-hour gift of $5.8 million allowed the SS
United States Conservancy to save the ship from the scrapper and keep it
berthed and maintained for 20 months. That was last November."

Colin