[BITList] Fwd: Four Charged in Singapore Bunker Fraud Case | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Sat May 18 11:08:56 BST 2013

Mike
A ship I was on based out of Singapore took bunkers arranged by one of
the chief engineers (we had 5 as there was an over supply at the time)
anyway seems he had struck a deal to take the dregs from the bunker
tanks and sign for top quality the difference being handed over in cash
which was distributed among the knowing, the reasoning being as it
wouldn't make any difference as the fuel would be put though the
centrifugal filters before use anyway, we steamed away heading for the
Philippians only to come to a grinding stop just by the rocks east of
the Singapore departure cant remember their names seems the filters were
blocked and as fast as they were switched over and cleaned they blocked
again, anyway we limped back to an anchorage and sent a sample of the
fuel to be analysed the reply came back along with a couple of drums of
bactericide and all was well, it was never was figured out whether it
was the ships tanks or the new fuel which was the cause of the
contamination, we had been sitting in port for some time with nearly
empty tanks the chief was a worried man though for a while, and the 5
captains we also had were not too impressed the $$ in hand not enough to
compensate for nearly ending up on the rocks
frank