[BITList] er

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 15 20:54:54 GMT 2013

Colin,  Malcolm,

The Weir's recip steam pumps could be monitored by the daywork or nightwork fiver (most often the latter) from topsides, thus saving shoe leather. They would squeak and make other noises, and the alert fiver could often judge when his presence down below was needed.  Also, they responded well to being thumped when the shuttle jammed, and the spot to hit was indicated by a boss. The two Clan Line vessels I sailed on were disconcertingly like the Cs down below in layout, 6 cyl Doxfords and all, but the pumps were electric motor driven and didn't like being hit with things.

Your sanitary pump, Colin, caused grief to the Master one day. For some reason, though the pump was still running, the discharge valve had been shut, but was just a hair open, so what little SW got through was wire drawn and rather hot indeed.  The unfortunate gentleman flushed the toilet while still seated, causing his nether regions to be harmed. He surrvived.

The Allan gennies, in my experience, were only ever overhauled by the Second and the Chinese fitters, though the Battie Wallah wiped the commutators with a clean rag every so often - the only task I ever saw him perform.