[BITList] No Maiden Names for Children

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 26 10:23:01 BST 2013

John,

It is true that parents in the UK can call their children anything they like within reason, though I've yet to hear of anyone being taken to court over a child's name. One variation is that, in Scotland, an adult can call him or herself any name at all, as long as it is not done with intent to defraud, much as it might confuse the hell out of others. Also, while a woman in Scotland may adopt her husband's surname as a married title, she retains her maiden name socially. People who knew my wife before she married me call her by her maiden name. To them I am "Nettie Bain's man".

My 3xgreat grandfather, Roderick Munro, was the son of Donald Munro and Ann McKenzie, born in the Black Isle, home of the Munros.  His baptismal entry calls him Munro or McKenzie, and he was legitimate. He could adopt either name.  The practice of sons taking the mother's name was not uncommon in Highland clan society.