[BITList] more on service costs

x50type x50type at cox.net
Sun Jul 21 15:05:18 BST 2013

Malcolm

It’s quite an interesting exercise, isn’t it – I too had no idea of the total monthly costs involved.

Some interesting comparisons:-

The biggest difference is house insurance. You pay 265 ukp per year – I pay 2135 ukp, 8 times as much! This includes mandatory flood insurance of 467 ukp. This is not too surprising as the house is 2 feet below sea level and there is a possibility 5 months of every year of it being totally destroyed by one or more hurricanes!

Sky TV 42 ukp – my cable TV service 58 ukp

UK Rates and rubbish 108 ukp – 75 ukp [rates only-no garbage].

UK Water 28 ukp – water and trash 10 ukp

Gas, Elect, land phone, broad band and central heating service 136 ukp – Elect. phone, [no gas], broad band 101 ukp

Now if I lived half way up a hill in Kentucky where it is presumably less hazardous than on the Gulf coast, all things being equal, my monthly cost with the reduction in insurance would be about 300 ukp or about 30% less; not a long way off yours.

Any input from Australia or any other country?

Colin