[BITList] Carnival cruise ship adrift off Mexican coast after fire

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 11 19:05:26 GMT 2013

Colin,

What kind of ERs do these ships have? And what kind of people run them?  I had two ER fires in BI, and didn't break sweat. The first I put out with a dry powder extinguisher, and the second was in the scavenge belt - it burned itself out and left a clean scavenge belt.  I can't remember if the Chief was of the "keep the engine running" school, or the "stop the engine school".  The chance of a crankcase explosion we didn't think about. It seems nowadays that ERs catch fire all over the place with disastrous results.