[BITList] Fwd: ] NEWS: SS Shieldhall to head to A&P Falmouth

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 7 14:29:23 GMT 2013

Mike,

My favourite mug was bought on the Shieldhall when she was last up here a good many years ago.  I've a photo of me at the wheel (aft) not going through the narrows at the Kyles of Bute. This (not me at the wheel) disappointed many who had been looking forward to it.  A couple of vessels had experienced problems in the narrows, probably too many fish, so they were avoided for a while.

I can make a small correction to the article.  She did carry treated sludge downriver to the Firth, and take passengers on cruises, but the sludge trips downriver and the cruises were one and the same. There was a long waiting list for places.  We used to call her predecessors banana boats - they didn't carry passengers.