[BITList] Fwd: ] NEWS: SS Shieldhall to head to A&P Falmouth

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Sat Dec 7 09:00:41 GMT 2013

Begin forwarded

One of the largest steamships of her type in Europe is to return to Falmouth
after a renowned ship repair firm secured a major repair contract.

The SS Shieldhall, which is based in Southampton, will head to the Cornish
port for a major hull repair conducted by A&P Falmouth.

The modification work, which is set to begin at Falmouth Dry Dock next
April, is being funded by a £1.4 million Heritage Lottery Fund grant.

It is expected it it'll will extend the life of the historic steamship for another
25 years.

Graham Mackenzie, marketing director of Solent Steam Packet, said: "We are
delighted to be coming back to A&P Falmouth. If someone had asked where we
would really like the work to be done then we would have said with A&P,
because of our previous experience, but for this contract, best value was
the overriding consideration.

"Work on a heritage ship such as ours is quite special and it's not the sort
of job any shipyard can do, it has to be sympathetic to what we are trying
to do. A&P really is a trusted name for us."

A heritage cargo-passenger ship, included in the National Historic Fleet,
Shieldhall was built and launched on the Clyde in 1955, to a classic
pre-Second World War design.

She had a long and successful first career with Glasgow Corporation
year-round, carrying treated sludge out to sea and, in the summer, taking
passengers on pleasure trips.

Bought in 1977 by Southern Water, she was finally withdrawn from commercial
service in 1985 – but saved and purchased for £20,000 in 1988 by the charity
that still operates her now.

Peter Child, managing director of A&P Falmouth, said: "This is a significant
contract for us and we are delighted to be working with Shieldhall once
again. She has strong ties with Falmouth and we are pleased to celebrate the
continuing success of the partnership and Shieldhall's confidence in A&P
Falmouth."

Read more:
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Steamship-returns-Falmouth-hull-repair/story
-20268811-detail/story.html#ixzz2mk6wmKTs

Reply via web post                       	 Reply to sender                        	 Reply to group                        	Start a New Topic           	Messages in this topic (1)
RECENT ACTIVITY:
Visit Your Group
www.irishseashipping.com
The Online Shipping Magazine