[BITList] manslaughter

x50type x50type at cox.net
Fri Aug 30 15:36:26 BST 2013

Frank

You may be right in theory, but if the rig supt wants to keep his job [which he certainly does] and if the rig owner wants more work from BP [which he certainly does],  he is not going to stop the company man from doing anything. Remember the drilling company is contracted to and is working under direct orders from BP office wallahs in Houston, and no company man is going to countermand their orders.This chain of command has been hashed out during various pre-trial hearings and the USCG investigation and has been found that the party directing operations [BP] in practice, has overall responsibility.

And you will recall the golden rule – He who hath the gold maketh the rules.

Further research indicates the two ‘well site leaders’ are indeed the two company men aboard the rig.
At the investigation both refused to answer questions; Kaluza invoking his constitutional right and Vidrine for health reasons [the very serious indictment of manslaughter could give one a headache!]. it may be a different story at the trial. I wonder if the refusal was at the ‘suggestion’ of BP.

The various trials [130 so far] are being held at the US District Court Eastern District of Louisiana in Poydras street, New Orleans. I really should get my ass over there some time, it’s no more than 25 minutes from my house.
BP wanted the trails to be held in Houston but counter parties disagreed, saying Houston was too oil industry orientated [which is true].

My view is that the real culprits of the disaster are the BP office wallahs in Houston – what are your views?

ct

.