[BITList] The Door

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 27 10:34:43 BST 2013

John,

The first "what am I upstairs for" thought I recall ever having had occurred to me was when I was a young teenager, so I started early. Nowadays it only happens when the thing I'm upstairs for (why is it only upstairs?) is quite out of the ordinary. In such cases, I am liable to be sidetracked by something more ordinary that comes into view, eg, a book lying on the floor. A few pages later I recall what I came up for. An out of the ordinary item might be a screwdriver or a hammer - I don't usually keep tools upstairs.

I noted a variant of the "doorway effect" many years ago, but it probably existed many years before that and went unnoticed by me. On the way to work in the mornings my home thoughts would be replaced by others the moment my feet touched the ground outside the house. And so on, bus or train or car, till I walked into the office. Each segment was a continuation of the previous day's.

A question.  As sometimes happens in a quiz, some undistinguished film actor's name isn't recalled when required, and no amount of trying can bring it out. Then it emerges, and one is no richer for it.  So, how does one know it's the correct name, when a moment before it had been forgotten?