[BITList] The Door

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Aug 27 00:59:46 BST 2013

G'day folks,

Have you ever walked into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was?

It turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next.

Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale. Thank goodness for studies like this. It's not our age, it's that stupid door!

However…..

I don't need doors to experience this.

My computer is located downstairs while here in North Queensland the living areas are upstairs. I find that I sometimes get up from the computer and go up the stairs to get something. When I arrive at the top of the stairs I sometimes have to stop and think, am I going to the left or to the right to get what I came upstairs for?

More often than not I have to go back without knowing what I went upstairs for.

But when I sit down at the computer again I remember what it was that I went upstairs for! I never have to wonder, at the top of the stairs, which way to go then!

Doors may do this for people, but it is not just doors!  :-)

Did I send this to you already?