[BITList] get with it

x50type x50type at cox.net
Sat Aug 17 19:23:05 BST 2013

Mike, Hugh

Whaaaaat!..................................”there is no mention of this Yankee word – allision” !

You guys, get your selves a decent dictionary and brush up on your latin.

My third edition revised with addenda of “The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles” edited by C. T. Onions shows :-

Allision    obs 1631  [ad. L. allisionem.]    The action of dashing against.

qui inhærentem altè pectori tuo terræ globum quàm celerrimè excus- sit, & expresso inter allisionem tinni- tu, inanias illu suas explicare coëgit,

inherent in your heart that the other ball of earth as quickly as search- is squeezed between the dashing and sound- You, more empty him to explain his drive,

ct