[BITList] Meeting A Goose at 11,000 ft.

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Aug 3 07:49:59 BST 2013

Following on to this post…

Meeting A Goose at 11,000 ft.

An aircraft meeting a goose flying at 11,000 ft. and doing 185 knots can ruin your whole day (to say nothing about your aircraft). The pilot was injured but was able to land the aircraft (Beech Baron) safely.

I received the following post from one our contributors

John,

I think these pics were a result of a mid-air as opposed to a bird strike.  Missing from these detailed pics is the lack of bird residue in the aftermath.  A bird large enough to cause this damage would certainly leave “evidence” behind (i.e., blood and feathers).
This picture is of the surviving aircraft of a mid-air between a Beech Baron (pictured) and a Cessna C-180 over Tehachapi, CA.  The two aircraft were high aspect, 180 degrees opposite direction, and co-altitude.  Neither aircraft saw the other, until, perhaps, it was too late.
The right main wheel of the C-180 impacted the Baron on the upper right canopy, ripping the canopy in a linear fashion all the way through, front to back.  However, as a result of the impact with the Baron, the right main gear of the C-180 collapsed at the fuselage and took the right wing strut with it.  Without the wing strut, the right wing separated from the aircraft and the C-180 departed controlled flight and impacted the ground.
The C-180 pilot did not survive.  He was a friend of mine …

I then carried out a Google search on these search criteria.

"Meeting A Goose at 11,000 ft"

and...

"Beech Baron VS Goose"

without finding anything.

Not wanting to give up I did a further search and found...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/birdshot.asp

Which is worth a read.

Thankyou for all the msgs on this topic.