[BITList] Vibrations

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 18 07:18:13 BST 2013

Colin,

It surprises me that Swan Hunter couldn't do their own design around 1970, but there you are. There was a lot of fine lines aft stuff going on then - maybe the fashionistas had discovered ships. One Blue Flue ship I worked on while with Scotts in the 70s was so fine aft  that the gennie flat could barely take the 3 gennies. I recall measures taken after trials to rectify vibration issues. The last vessel I worked on before retiring was built by Kvaerner in the early 90s and "designed" by Norwegian "consultants", many of whom had read a book about ships after graduating.  It, too, had very fine lines aft, so much so that the after end at bottom plates level was empty of all but air and a couple of essential pipes. The lines aft were only the start of it - where it was physically possible, everything in my remit was comprehensively redesigned by me, but I could do nothing about the lines.

MV Bhamo, designed and built by Lithgow in 1957 for British Burmese, engined by Kincaid, scrapped 1979, had bizarre vibration problems. The instigator, or the easiest to blame, was the main engine, a 4-cyl B&W opposed piston - 4-cyl engines are prone to causing problems. Most vibration was felt in the accommodation, so a system was evolved of opening certain doors.  So a friend said - he sailed with her from Kincaids as a first tripper.