[BITList] BP oil spill trial: BP wells supervisor frustrated by last-minute Macondo changes

x50type x50type at cox.net
Mon Apr 15 23:34:51 BST 2013

just what we were talking about, Frank

ct

Last-minute changes in the well included BP's decision to go with six centralizers -- used to keep the drill pipe centered as cement was poured -- instead of the 21 recommended by Halliburton engineers, and discussion about using additional spacer fluid during the cement job.

"I didn't know about this. And it was just -- I was surprised," Guide testified.

His email reflected that tone. "The operation is not going to succeed if we continue in this manner," Guide wrote in the message, sent three days before the Deepwater Horizon rig caught fire and exploded off the coast of Louisiana, leading to one of the largest oil spills in the nation's history.

Guide ended the note with a rhetorical question: "What is my authority? With separation of engineering and operations, I do not know what I can and can't do."

BP oil spill trial: BP wells supervisor frustrated by last-minute Macondo changes

BP's Houston-based wells team leader testified Monday that he had grown frustrated by a series of last-minute changes to the Macondo drilling project in the days before the well blew out.John Guide, who worked for three decades in the oil and gas industry, including seven years as a drilling superintendent in the Gulf of Mexi co, took the stand on the 27th day of the sprawling civil trial."These...

Read More  |  Print & PDF