[BITList] back up generators fail

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Tue Oct 30 16:59:55 GMT 2012

Hugh

following are responses I got from other engineers................

'We don't need to test them.' They'll be OK, and we never have power failure anyway.....

I was on one ship where the Master Ordered me not to do the Monthly Test under load; it messed up some of their navigational playthings...

That is bad. Of course they were installed by crooked contractor making payoffs to inspectors, mafia, etc if stereotypes are to be believed.

I guess they should have started  -- but lost starting handle, batteries down, key to engine room lost, flash light batteries dead, no signal to start automatically received, luch break, engineer went home [wife called], etc. Or could be as we had in new orleans when the place was flooded during katrina, hospital emergency generators were located in the basements or at ground level and were all submerged.....................duh!

ct