[BITList] passenger ships -FMEA

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 21 14:43:25 BST 2012

Frank,

I had one blackout while 2E/O with Denholms (I was off watch asleep) ; both engines stopping on Dilwara (on my watch, I was 3rd) ; and  a sudden lack of SW cooling on Chinkoa while leaving Marseille.  It was an ill-stowed plank of wood slamming into the switchboard in the first ; the previous watch fiver leaving a valve open after transferrring diesel up to the galley in the second ; and the plug dropping off the main SW suction valve spindle in the third.

I heard a story, possibly apocryphal, about a BI 5-hander. The (new) fiver having convinced his betters that he was perfectly capable of looking after things by himself, the other four went ashore.  On their return, the ship (like yours) was dark, all save a faint glimmer from the fiver's cabin, where he was sat reading a book by candle light.  On being asked WTF is happening he told them the lights had all gone out, but he found a candle.  That man is probably chief on a liner somewhere.