[BITList] oh, i dont want to smell like him

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Thu Oct 18 22:10:16 BST 2012

on your Christmas list, Hugh?
[it’s called ‘Success” – it should be called SoG -- ‘the stink of greed’]

ct

Donald Trump's 'Success' Cologne Gets the Smell Test

Donald Trump’s new cologne smells like soap. Not bar soap exactly, more like a really nice men’s body wash—the kind that costs $12 at the drug store instead of the generic $9 one. It’s also reminiscent of a fashion magazine that contains too many perfume ads, such that the scents mix together until they’re indistinguishable from one another. That’s what Trump smells like. That is, assuming he actually wears his new $55 cologne, “Success.”

Surprisingly, Success is not the most arrogantly titled celebrity perfume ever created (that would be Diddy’s Sean Jean scent, “I Am King”). It also isn’t Trump’s first foray into cologne. In 2004 he partnered with Estée Lauder to launch “Donald Trump, The Fragrance,” which, according to early press releases, contained “hints of mint, cucumber and black basil.” Otherwise known as a salad.

This time, Trump worked with Five Star Fragrance and perfume creator Yann Vasnier for something slightly less edible-sounding: Success has tones of fresh juniper, iced red currant, coriander, tonka bean, birch wood, and musk. And unlike his original cologne, which proclaimed its namesake in all caps, this time the bottle has an understated label on which the word “Success” gets top billing over the “Trump” that’s quietly printed below.

“Not everybody likes Trump,” the salesman at Macy’s explained when I purchased the cologne. “Some people, they see the name on the bottle and are like, ‘Oh, I don’t want to smell like him.’ This scent really has to sell itself.”