[BITList] passenger ships -FMEA

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 18 21:22:41 BST 2012

Colin,

Among the causes of breakdowns and blackouts, how about incompetence in design, installation and supervision?  Though I've left the mar eng industry, I've ex-colleagues still in it, and they paint a dire picture of its present form, eg, the office joke now in charge, plumbers in charge of engineers, etc.

Our doorbell rang as I was typing the above - an ex-colleague has just left after a brief social call - he told me a tale. He recently overheard two fellow "draughtsmen" discussing a sounding pipe with a weighted cock. "So what's this for?" asked one.  Said the other, obviously an expert, "You lift this weight and the cock opens, then you drop down a cable with a transducer on the end to see how much oil is in the tank."

I see no reason why things should be any different elsewhere.