[BITList] passenger ships -FMEA

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Thu Oct 18 15:36:20 BST 2012

As per the recent findings of the UK P&I Club mention was made of a number of passenger ships having lost all power for days on end.
The cause is usually human error, but as they have multiple generators and the load is fairly constant I don’t understand how the electrical logic system fails to prevent total black outs.
I have never heard or witnessed Failure Mode and Effect Analysis [FMEA] surveys being carried out on ships of any type, it appears passenger ships are in need of such surveys but I don’t think they are required by classification societies.
I understand FMEA’s are carried out from time to on offshore oil rigs where, as on a passenger ship, loss of all power would be disastrous.
Anyone have any info/comment on the above?