[BITList] romney's a gonner

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Fri Nov 16 18:18:07 GMT 2012

republicans could not have found a worse presidential contender if they had tried...................thanks GOP
tossed overboard is more than he deserves

ct

      Romney sinks quickly in Republicans’ esteem
        a..   Text Size a.. Print a.. E-mail a.. ReprintsBy Dan Eggen, Updated: Friday, November 16, 11:35 AM
      Ten days after failing to sail into the White House, Mitt Romney is already being tossed overboard by his party.

      The former Massachusetts governor — who attracted $1 billion in funding and 59 million votes in his bid to unseat President Obama — has rapidly become persona non grata to a shell-shocked Republican Party, which appears eager to map out its future without its 2012 nominee.

      Romney was by all accounts stunned at the scale of his Nov. 6 loss, dropping quickly from public view after delivering a short concession speech to a half-empty Boston arena. Then came a series of tin-eared remarks this week blaming his loss on Obama’s “gifts” to African Americans and Hispanics — putting him squarely at odds with party leaders struggling to build bridges with minorities.

      “You can’t expect to be a leader of all the people and be divisive,” New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) said Friday on MSNBC, adding: “Someone asked me, Why did Mitt Romney lose? And I said because he got less votes than Barack Obama, that’s why.”

      It’s a remarkable fall from grace for Romney, who just 10 days ago held the chance of a Republican return to power at the White House.

      The messy aftermath of his failure suggests that Romney, a political amalgam with no natural constituency beyond the business community, is unlikely to play a significant role in rebuilding is party, many Republicans said this week.

      “He’s not going to be running for anything in the future,” said Rep. Raúl R. Labrador (R-Idaho), who sharply criticized Romney’s comments about Hispanics. “He’s not our standard-bearer, unfortunately.”