[BITList] It's the doors/ I'm so thankful!!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 8 08:44:58 GMT 2012

Frank,

During my walk home period, mostly on Sunday nights, it was never a girl friend that kept me late. The one time I walked the 6 miles home with such, she was, Janet my wife-to-be. She was in very high heels, and to this day she will tell anyone how sore her feet were afterwards, with only the slightest excuse.

On Sundays my pals and I would gather in pal Alec's house and play jazz records, listen to his father's tales about Hastie's steering gear and communism, play whist, and generally pass the time with cups of tea. Alec's mother would ask, "When's your bus?", and I'd have a vague notion of actually catching it which never came to fruition.

On some Sunday nights I'd attend a session in the Firth of Clyde Rhythm Club. Mostly I did this alone, for my pals weren't into modern jazz, whereas I liked any kind of jazz. Inevitably, I walked home, and there was an extra mile to walk.

On one Sunday a group of us walked home, though I was alone for the last six miles.  We were under the delusion we were a jazz band, and making appropriate noises. A police car stopped and complained about the noise, though the only buildings anywhere near us were Kincaid's engine shops - they took our names and solemnly warned us.  We heard no more about it.