[BITList] solar

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon May 28 10:21:12 BST 2012

There are genuine instances of people being billed, and even pursued (though
not very far), for zero amounts of money.  These idiocies usually result
from an over dependency on computers and call centres, as I well know.

Some years back we took out house contents insurance with a company who
seemed OK.  A couple of years later we bought the house from the local
council and took out a second policy on the structure itself.  Until a few
months ago I'd never had reason to correspond with the company - at that
point our bank offered us the same insurance in a combined policy for half
the premium, so  I wrote to the insurance company telling them that, (a)
when the cover under the current premiums expired, we would not be renewing
the policies, and (b) I had informed my bank that the Direct Debits would
expire on the appropriate date. I got no reply. What I got, eventually, was
a computer generated standard letter complaining that the Direct Debit had
been cancelled, thus stopping them from getting their cash.  After some
research (their letter told me bugger all that was helpful),  I realised the
two policies had been out of step, and that I owed them two instalments on
one of the premiums.  I immediately arranged with the bank to reinstate the
DD in respect of the two instalments, but the first of these was past its
date, so couldn't be paid. I wrote to them explaining, but got no reply, so
I girded my loins and phoned the "help line".  Wonder of wonders, I got
through within 5 minutes, and it was agreed I should send a cheque for the
missing money.  I sent the cheque, recorded delivery, first class post.
Eventually, I got another computer generated standard letter telling me that
I (fill in name) had failed in my duty to them, hadn't replied to letters,
and unless, etc, they would cancel the policies.  I tried the phone a couple
of times, but I couldn't get past the posh voice telling that, due to the
volume of calls, etc.  So I logged onto the Royal Mail website and got proof
of delivery of the letter with the cheque.  It had been signed for less than
24 hours after I sent it, and my cheque had been cashed within days.  I
decided just to let the bastards stew, but along came another threat of
cancellation from the computer with an additional promise of action for
recovery of funds due.  I checked at the bank, and the insurers failed to
request the final sum due to them on the due date, so the Direct Debit
effectively expired.  Just to be sure, I stopped it, not wishing my account
to be at the mercy of these morons.  My last letter to them reminded them of
all the previous, plus the bits I missed out to avoid boring the arse off my
readers. I finished with a promise to find out what crooked bastard cashed
my cheque, though I was a little more polite.  That was 2 weeks ago and,
you've guessed, they didn't reply.