[BITList] solar

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Mon May 28 03:19:01 BST 2012

John
along the lines of your $0 story last week my solar power system stopped
working so I rang the company I purchased the system from only to find
that they had gone into receivership last year but that another company
had taken over the warranty claims who informed me that they would have
the converter changed but it would cost me a $350 call-out fee which I
agreed to and they said they would get back to me in a few days so being
of a curious nature I decided to have bit of a look around the system on
delving into it found that the internal fuse had blown checking the type
of fuse I had to send to Sydney for a replacement which miraculously
arrived the following morning so fitted the fuse and everything ran ok
so boxed the unit back up i.e. put the lid back on. a couple of days
later the solar firm rang back and I told them that I had fixed the
problem and that I was licensed to do this, they then gave me a number
to ring should it happen again with the rider that that if the unit was
opened then the warranty would be voided so not to mention this when I
rang for a replacement which as I was licensed it would be ok for me to
fit in the place of the non working unit. I didn't have the heart ask
how I was supposed to replace the unit with out opening it as the power
connections are inside the unit.
The units have a 20 year manufactures warranty but as they are made in
china I'm not holding my breath that any one will still be around in a
few years if I should need to call on this service I've  got 4 more
spare fuses plus kept the original as its a different manufacturer just
in case the unit has to be returned
frank