[BITList] Datsun - vaunted ?

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Tue Mar 20 20:54:45 GMT 2012

                Datsun was once a ‘vaunted’ brand – that’s news to me!
                I thought it was cheap shit..........
                ct

        Nissan Confirms, the Datsun Is Coming Back
          a..
        By ERIC BELLMAN in Jakarta, Indonesia, and CHESTER DAWSON in Tokyo
        Nissan Motor Co. 7201.TO +0.45% plans to resurrect its once-vaunted Datsun brand, hoping to attract aspirational customers in high-growth emerging markets.

        Enlarge Image

        Reuters
        CEO Carlos Ghosn says Nissan will resurrect the brand in emerging markets. 'Datsun is part of our company's heritage.'

        Nissan phased out the brand close to 30 years ago but now is counting on Datsun's reputation for small, sporty, inexpensive cars to attract young consumers in the world's developing economies.

        "Datsun is part of our company's heritage and will now become part of our growth," Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn said during a visit to Jakarta on Tuesday.

        Datsun is scheduled to hit the road in India, Indonesia and Russia in 2014. But Mr. Ghosn said he wanted to announce the long-rumored revival in Indonesia to underline the growing importance of the Southeast Asian market. Nissan plans to invest $400 million to more than double its capacity in the region's largest economy, he said.

        The Datsun Brand
        Take a look back.

        View Slideshow

        Associated Press
        Nissan Auto Co. unveiled Japan's first mass-produced sports car in 1958. The car was named simply the Datsun Sedan.

        The Japanese auto maker said the time is right to dust off Datsun as Nissan seeks to increase its global market share to 8% in the next five years from 5.8% at the end of last March.