[BITList] HMS THUNDERER Boiler Explosion

Malcolm malcena2 at uwclub.net
Thu Jun 28 13:40:39 BST 2012

Hugh,

Just before I began my apprenticeship the shipyard was Nationalised and it
had to service and look after the 18 tugs that worked around the docks and
up and down the canals. Their engines were steam 2 cylinder up & downers &
the scotch boiler worked at 110 lbs/ins. I do not know whether it was the
Nationalised Government, belts & braces attitude or not, but the rules were
that every time one of the tugs boilers safety valves had blown, a
government agent had to inspect the valve seat. The tug's captains had to
keep a log every time this happened. By the time I had completed my
apprenticeship the captains had thought bugger that, it was costing them too
much money with overtime and bonus's etc.

Malcolm.

  _____