[BITList] more prom!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 16 21:01:24 BST 2012

Colin,

Some, perhaps many, secondary schools in Scotland, ie, the buildings, are named Such and Such High School, eg, Port Glasgow High School, and some are not, eg, Greenock Academy (recently emptied in an orgy of new school building).  Regardless of name, they are referred to as high schools by those who attend them.  There might exist a few who say, "I go to secondary school", but I've never heard one. The preferred phrase is, "I go to the high school".

My wife, ever keen to correct me, says she has heard of such a thing as a "kindergarten graduation" ceremony here.  The mind boggles.  I can only assume it, wherever it happened, was organised by some twat who had seen too many American films.  Elder daughter Susan had a problem once, when her two were wee things were attending a nursery (I've never heard of a kindergarten here). It was the week before Hallowe'en, and a note was delivered to all mothers that in future Hallowe'en would be replaced by a thing called a Winter Fest. There would be no talk of ghaists and bogles, or any other such matters harmful to a child's mind.  All would be mild and pure and quite PC.  I'll draw a veil over what happened next - suffice it to say that the staff celebrated Hallowe'en with (as they say here) theirs lips tremblin'.

The relatively chaste (call it that) nature of the relations between the sexes at a Scottish prom (I draw on all my experience, based on seeing the start of one) is most likely due to the fact that most of those attending have no relationship with the opposite sex, at least none with anyone at the prom. It's a dance and a good time, not a rite of passage with a hallowed past.