[BITList] hicks

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Jun 14 14:21:01 BST 2012

On 14/06/2012, at 12:16 PM, COLIN TAYLOR wrote:

> yes, I read the wiki article.
>
> Hicks was in Afghanistan and area playing with the big boys – did he expect to be excused because he was from Australia? did Australians want special treatment for their soldier of fortune?
>
> he could well have been killing Australian troops in Afghanistan. some ones grand children for example. However we can and should complain at his treatment at the hands of the Americans.  Really, would you feel the same if it was someone near and dear to you who he killed? however, I don’t suppose he got treated any differently than any one else in the conflict and circumstances.
>
> what action could the Australian government have taken to ensure he get ‘fair treatment. what action can the Australian government take if Australian soldiers or citizens are captured by Taliban/The Base in Afghanistan and treated ‘unfairly’?
>
> Hicks could have stayed in Adelaide enjoying the sunny weather!
>
> Appears he didn’t know -- war is hell and people get hurt.

If you really want to know about, just press my start button.

He was tortured by the US. It is illegal under Australian Law to torture anyone.

His own Government stood by and let it happen.

Cowards.

I wrote to the Attorney General and complained that he had done nothing to help an Australian citizen which he had taken an oath to undertake.