[BITList] Fwd: We're learning from Astute submarine flaws, admiral promises | UK news | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 28 22:09:59 GMT 2012

Colin,

The first and last time I saw a blueprint was in Kincaid's DO c1954, when it was dug out of the drawing safe to let me look at some item on it for a small trunk piston engine. White lines on a blue background - by that time that printing process had been discontinued.

There's nowt wrong with drawing boards. Scotts used them, as did Kvaerner, up until I retired in about 1995.  To my knowledge Scotts never used any other method. By the late 80s the creeping onslaught of CAD led the less perceptive to think, how wonderful, and rush to get rid of the boards. Kvaerner used both. Now the industry, such as it is, is awash with CAD technicians whose experience of ships is bounded by their screen and what their CAD system lets them do. Does it work? Look at Astute.