[BITList] Guns and tinsel: Christmas 1940

John Davison davison.g at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 27 20:31:20 GMT 2012

I recall Xmas 1940 ,  I was 5 years old and had just started school, my parents ran a pub , in the main bar were some RAF personnel ,  they had a monkey mascot with them , all dressed in RAF clothes with sergeants stripes , and a cap .

My father brought me in to see the monkey , one of the airmen gave the monkey a banana , which it expertly peeled and ate , much to my fascination as I had never seen a monkey or a banana , wartime in Britain bananas were not imported till after ww2 ..

Indelible memories !

Salaams

John