[BITList] Jones apologises for 'unlawful' Muslim comments - This man owns a large number of shares in the radio station

wantok at me.com wantok at me.com
Wed Dec 19 01:18:59 GMT 2012

Radio 					 				TV 					 				Shop 					 				News 					 				Sport 					 				Local 					 				Children 					 				Science 					 				Environment 					 				more Topics 					 				help
ABC News 24 Live Stream
News Home
Just In
Local
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northern Territory
Queensland
South Australia
Tasmania
Victoria
Western Australia
World
Business
Entertainment
Sport
The Drum
Weather
More
Video
Audio
Photos
Archive
Elections
Antony Green's Election Blog
The Weather Man
News Editors' Blog
Health
Science
Environment
Technology and Games
Ramp Up
Religion and Ethics
NewsMail
Podcasts
Contact Us
Corrections & Clarifications
Site Preferences
In Depth
China: The Transition
US election 2012
Hurricane Sandy: Before & After
Bali Remembered
Globesity
The Luckiest Refugees
Foreign Correspondent: 20 Years
Queen's Diamond Jubilee
Japan tsunami: One year on
ALP leadership spill
Coal seam gas: By the numbers
9/11 Remembered
Japan Tsunami: Before & After
Brisbane Floods: Before & After
more...
Programs
Television

7.30
Australia Network News
Australian Story
Behind the News
Big Ideas
The Business
Business Today
Capital Hill
The Drum
Foreign Correspondent
Four Corners
Future Forum
Inside Business
Insiders
Landline
Lateline
National Press Club
News Exchange
Newsline
News on 3
Offsiders
One Plus One
Planet America
Q & A
The Quarters
Tonic
Radio

AM
Correspondents Report
Friday Late
PM
The World Today
Radio Australia News
NewsRadio
My Topics
View all topics | Topics cloud
environment
government-and-politics
health
indigenous
offbeat
science-and-technology
community-and-society
law-crime-and-justice
BREAKING NEWS Robert Xie to stand trial for the murders of five members of the Lin family in their Sydney home. «»
Print Email Facebook Twitter More
Jones apologises for 'unlawful' Muslim comments
Updated 3 hours 11 minutes ago

PHOTO: Radio broadcaster Alan Jones made the offending comments in 2005. (Alan Porritt)
RELATED STORY: Jones wins Ernie for sexist commentsRELATED STORY: Jones sorry for saying Gillard's dad 'died of shame'RELATED STORY: Embattled Jones returns to the airwavesRELATED STORY: Tribunal rules Alan Jones incited hatred
MAP: Sydney 2000
Sydney broadcaster Alan Jones has made an on-air apology over comments he made seven years ago on his breakfast program about Lebanese Muslims.

After a lengthy legal battle, Mr Jones was last week ordered by the Administrative Decisions Tribunal to apologise for reading a letter on 2GB radio which referred to Lebanese males as "vermin" and suggesting they hate Australia.

The tribunal found the comments made in April 2005 incited serious contempt of Lebanese males.

Mr Jones was not presenting the breakfast program today, but a 38 second recording was aired.

In the statement, Mr Jones said, "I apologise for making those comments and I recognise they were unlawful, and I also apologise on behalf of radio 2GB."

As directed, by the tribunal the comments were aired just after 8:00am (AEDT).

Topics: radio-broadcasting, multiculturalism, islam, sydney-2000

First posted 3 hours 15 minutes ago