[BITList] Is Scotland in Europe? The SNP doesn’t even know - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 17 23:17:32 GMT 2012

Ron,

The question of continued or resumed membership of the EU is the latest bete-noire dragged out by the No party from their bottomless bag of irrelevancies. If Alex Salmond scratches his bum it's anti-independence headlines nowadays. Like many, I wonder how long it'll be before some harridan is produced who'll swear on a stack of fivers that she was abused by him when aged 15 and 11 months. The people with heads in the sand are the other parties in Scotland.  They have absolutely no plan for what they'll be/do if and when (it's nowhere near certain) independence is gained. The mere thought of life without Big Daddy at Westminster frightens them - they have no minds of their own.  For my views on this you can blame Tony Blair - he and his cronies changed me from life-long Old Labour to what I am now, and only God knows what that is.

Membership of the EU is NOT held by England or by Wales or by Northern Ireland or by Scotland, but by the UK, an obvious point that has had to be pointed out ad nauseam in the letters columns of papers. Hence it follows as the night the day that, if Scotland ever becomes independent again, her position vis a vis EU membership will be precisely that of the other three, severally or conjointly, since the UK will no longer exist in its current form.