[BITList] The new Titanic

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 25 10:38:20 BST 2012

Mike,

So another rich nutter comes over the horizon.

Says Mr Palmer, "It will be 98% the same. The only difference will be an extra deck, to give the bridge greater visibility over the bow, which the original didn't have - very much to its cost."  Titanic II, as it is to be called, will also be 4m wider, to meet international safety standards on stability.  Apart from that it will be virtually identical to the original, with a few minor concessions to modernity, and it will have "more than enough" lifeboats."

And we read that Mr Palmer (at his golf club in Brisbane) cleared three tables and rolled out the plans for Titanic II (I hope these actions weren't related), all 3 metres of them.  "We've obtained copies of the actual original plans," he says, with evident pride. "The drawings are the same as the ones the ship's designers must have pored over in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in the months and years before the Titanic's launch in 1911. It is only when you look close up at the original plans that you get a shot of authentic historical reality."

Three metres of "plans", well oh well.  My drawing board in Scotts wasn't too different from the ones used by H&W when Titanic was built, and it took a drawing up to about 4m long.  The average ER pipe arrangement might easily run to 4 or 5 sheets 3m long plus associated sketches and bumf.  All CAD did was reduce the length (max standard sheert was A0), but not the number of drawings.

A few minor concessions to modernity? It'll have to be built to 2013, 2014, 2015 or whenever class, regardless - and that sure as hell won't mention the decor.

Why doesn't he settle for oppressing the poor and leave shipbuiding to others?