[BITList] Gollywogs

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 22 13:57:45 BST 2012

>From John's last :

"The Americans have asked if they can use the Queen on their new 25 dollar note.

The UK have said OK, as long as we can put their president back on our jam jars."

Pretty apt that it was sent from the Netherlands.  The Robertson Jam figure, long since abolished by PC morons who failed to understand that the Golliwog was originally a Dutch chimney sprite, not a  caricature of a persun of skin colour other than sort of pink (no offence intended to persuns who have areas of skin not immediately classifiable as sort of pink).

"In Belgium and the Netherlands, children are told that Zwarte Piet leaves gifts in the children's shoes. Presents are said to be distributed by Saint Nicholas' aide Zwarte Piet; who enters the house through the chimney, which also explains his black face and hands, but not his colorful attire. Blackfaced, red-lipped Zwarte Piet dolls are displayed in store windows alongside with brightly packaged holiday merchandise."