[BITList] hd bolts

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Mon Aug 13 20:43:46 BST 2012

Hugh

ship is a USN amphibious landing platform dock powered by Four Colt-Pielstick diesel engines, two shafts, 40,000 hp (30 MW)
[I would imagine a colt-pielstck diesel engine is something between a revolver and a fire pump, only bigger and fairbanks morse is in there somewhere, so heaven knows how much they cost!]

there is no knowing what these useless clowns in the USN and Avondale have been up to.....................
I’ve been in this shipyard and see how they fuck stuff up – usual american system – full of john wayne’s and not enough indians!

of this type of ship, all the ones built at avondale needed extensive fixing up once they left avodale. [in fact all the ships built at avondale need extensive finishing work once thy cleared the yard].
avondale is due to close next year..

as far as the hd bolts are concerned they could well have been welded and ‘fabricated’! avondale wouldn’t know the difference.
[but where were colt-pielstick engineers when they were installing the 4 engines-aligning-testing?]

however a word of caution, these maritime articles come from a US site [gCaptain.com which I am not familiar with] via a colleague here – and while the reporters seem to have good credentials their real world knowledge seems quite sparse – hence these type of questionable and unclear articles.

colin